The Shocking Environmental Impact of Paper Business Cards
It’s a very well-known issue around the world that paper (along with other materials) is causing a lot of damage to the environment. In fact, paper accounts for 25% of landfill waste and 42% of all global wood harvests are used to make paper. By making small changes to the way we use paper in the office, it will have a major positive impact on the environment.
324 litres of water is required to make 1kg of paper
Luckily, in today’s digital world, becoming paperless is becoming the new norm. However, unfortunately, it can’t be said for ‘all’ areas of everyday life and we can certainly do more to help save the planet. For example, removing the need for paper business cards and using/managing them digitally with an app like Contapp.
6 million trees are destroyed each year to make 100 million business cards worldwide
Like business as a whole, it has evolved due to new technologies. The same goes for business cards. Paper business cards are becoming less popular amongst virtually everyone in business, mainly because they take the burden of paper business cards away and you can use them digitally. Not to mention, they are extremely eco-friendly, which is a big tick for any business or entrepreneur looking to go green.
Tips on How You Can Reduce Paper Waste
- Substitute paper with a digital equivalent. For example, downloading Contapp for free and managing business cards digitally. It’s more convenient and a lot more cost-effective.
- Recycle your paper waste, don’t let it end up in landfill.
- In the office, try and reuse paper where possible. If you only use one side of paper, put the otherside to good use and save it for notes. This small act will save you 50% of paper waste.
- Use email instead of paper when communicating with clients and customers.
- Reduce the use of paper cups and disposable paper plates by using reusable materials, such as glass.
- Buy products with the least paper packaging. Encourage green businesses that support the environment, like Contapp.
- Take advantage of the latest technologies that support the cloud to save files and notes. For example, tablets, computers and smartphones.
- Buy recycled paper materials or materials that came from sustainable managed forests.
- Avoid printing documents unless you really need to. Try to do all your document sending and signing digitally to avoid unnecessary paper waste.
- Unsubscribe from paper catalogs to avoid them being sent to you and subscribe to their digital version.
Paper Digital Business Cards Bring Many Benefits
As the world of technology continues to evolve at a rapid pace, it’s important to keep up with the latest trends. Paper business cards are losing their touch and they have been for a long time. Mainly because they are effectively just a piece of paper. If you want to use any of that information, you have to input the information manually.
No one has time for that, it’s 2020 and technology brings more convenience than ever before. Which is why so many users around the world are choosing Contapp as their go-to mobile app for managing, using and sharing business cards.
We’ve put together a brief list of benefits a business card managing app like Contapp can bring to your busy life, over the conventional paper methods:
- Carry an unlimited amount of business cards, taking up no space in your wallet or drawer
- Contactlessly manage and share business cards
- Better organisation by creating groups
- Access all your business cards anywhere, anytime
- Conveniently contact people via the app
- Easily find the right person via keyword searches or smart filters
- Display your business cards in an attractive interface via My Library
- Backed up via the cloud, so you won’t lose or damage a card
- Add information you can’t find on a paper business card e.g. direct social media links
- Digital features allow you to be better connected e.g. Save Location feature
How Many Trees Can Be Saved By Using Contapp?
We’ll like to start by mentioning that around 10 billion business cards are printed each year and 88% of those are thrown away within a week. It’s a crazy stat which proves that this is a big deal.
But what’s even more mind boggling is the facts that 7.2 million trees cut down each year for business cards (credit: theedgemarkets.com). Just imagine that. By switching to Contapp from paper business cards, you and your business can contribute to saving over 7.2 million trees. Not to mention, you’ll be saving a huge amount of money which can be spent elsewhere for your business.
Ready to Make a Difference and Save the Planet?
Join us on our journey and help improve the way we digitally utilise business cards in a more convenient and sustainable way.